Before we look at the delicious recipe I just want to briefly discuss clean eating.
Clean eating is a phrase that gets a lot of mention online, especially on social media, but what does this phrase actually mean?
Just what is clean eating?
Jaclyn London, MS, RD, CDN, describes the original meaning of clean eating in her article, Why “Clean Eating” Is Total BS, over at goodhousekeeping.com:
The phrase began with good intentions: It used to imply eating lots of whole, real foods — veggies and fruit, whole-grains, animal and plant-based protein, nuts, seeds, and oils. It also meant that what you eat should be as close to nature as possible — minimally processed, not packaged, or originating from a factory. Read more…
Here at The Healthy Things we use the phrase when we are referring to food that is made from scratch using nothing but lovely fresh ingredients.
That brings us nicely on to our clean eating recipe for Vegetarian Sushi Roll Salad. You wont find any processed garbage here!
Clean Eating – Vegetarian Sushi Roll Salad
Preparation Time: 45 mins
For the Salad:
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sushi rice (or any other rice works too)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- sprinkle of lemon juice
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Cook rice according to directions and set aside to cool.
- While rice is cooking, toast sesame seeds in small dry (un-oiled) fry pan until lightly browned.
- Chop your veggies and layer ingredients divided between two plates with romaine on bottom, then rice, then other veggies.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over the avocado to prevent browning.
- Prepare dressing by whisking all ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over salad when ready to eat!